For additional information, consult the project chairperson: Sarah Berke, PO Box 204, Zamora, CA 95698, email@example.com
To expand the knowledge of individuals in the area of horticulture, promote horticulture as a career and hobby, and stimulate others to improve their environment through the art and science of horticulture. This contest provides youth with the opportunity to improve their skills in assembling, organizing, and disseminating information in an efficient manner.
Individuals ages 5-22 may participate in one of four age categories:
A. 5-9 year olds
B. 10-14 year olds
C. 15-18 year olds
D. 19-22 year olds (along with previous Grand National Award Winners)
Participants prepare and present a prepared public speech in one of
the four age categories. The following rules apply to all categories:
1. Presentations must be a prepared public speech with optional visual aids.
2. No individual will be allowed to present the same presentation in successive years.
3. Presentations must be between 5 and 10 minutes.
4. No state may enter more than two presentations in each age category.
5. Participants may use, but are not required to use visual aids, including posters, objects, PowerPoint, etc. Keep in mind that speakers not using visual aids may be competing with speakers who will be using them.
6. Participants must furnish all equipment except for a projection screen. LCD projectors are sometimes available. Please check with the national program chairman a few weeks prior to the convention for availability status.
7. An assistant may be used to assist in handling mechanical visual aids if needed. This assistant will not be considered a participant and will have no other part of the presentation.
8. Only judges have the right to ask questions. This will occur at the end of the presentation.
National Award Winners: Up to three National Award Winner individuals
may be chosen to receive a medal in each of the four age categories.
National Award Winners are eligible to return for competition the following
year in the same age category.
Grand National Award Winner: One Grand National Award Winner may be chosen to receive a medal in each of the age categories. Grand National Award Winner in the 15-18 year old category may return the following year in the 19-22 year old category, even though he or she may not be 19 years old. Only Grand National winners in the 15-18 and 19-22 categories may receive a cash award up to $100.00.
If there are no entries or entries are not of sufficient quality, an award may not be given.
Jack B. Leaver
1088 Fountain View, Circle #3
Holland, MI 49423
Phone: (616) 298-2433