For additional information, consult the project chairperson:
Susan Beebe, Cornell Cooperative Extension, 50 West High Street, Ballston
Spa, NY 12020.
Phone (518) 885-8995. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Photography Exhibition - Still Film Division
To stimulate an interest in the use of film photography in horticulture.
Who Can Participate
8 – 22 years old, individuals only. Age divisions are:
8 – 14 and 15 – 22 years old (as of Dec. 31 of current year).
All award winners in any class are eligible to enter in any class the
following year. Best of Show winner is also eligible to enter
in a class the following year.
- Single Black and White – maximum size = 12
x 14 inches, including matting/mounting
- Single Color – maximum size = 12 x 14 inches,
- Sequence of Four – B & W or color photographs
that tell a visual story chronologically, without the use of words.
All four photos should be mounted on one board/mat not to exceed 16
x 16 inches or 9 x 25 inches.
- Horticulture Collection (B&W or color), consisting
of 6 photographs. All 6 photos should be mounted on one board/mat
not to exceed 16 x 20 inches.
Each entry must:
- Have been taken with a still film camera.
- Have been taken by the participant within 12 months before it is
- Be a natural photograph, meaning no altering of the photograph or
negative. The photo may be staged, but images cannot be added,
subtracted, or changed by any means including, but not limited to
airbrushing, painting, erasing, or digital enhancement. Cropping
of total photo area (but not of individual images) is allowed, and
must be specified on the entry form.
- All entries must be accompanied by a PC compatible CD containing
the negative image (this can be done at your local photo store).
- Includes an entry form COMPLETED BY THE EXHIBITOR, and 4 x 6 inches
or enlarged and mounted photograph(s) suitable for display.
An entry form follows the project descriptions. If the exhibit
is unable to complete the form without assistance, this should be
documented and noted by the assisting individual.
- Participants are limited to one entry per class.
- Photos should be matted and mounted only, and not be in a frame.
Photos in a frame will not be accepted or judged.
- If participants do not complete the correct entry form for the Digital
Still Film class, they will be disqualified.
- Submitted entries become the property of NJHA and will not
be returned to exhibitor. Entries
may be used for publicity purposes.
Photographs meeting all entry criteria will be judged on individual merit. A
medal or certificate will be presented to all judged entries.
One “Grand National” (gold) medal and two additional “National” (silver)
medals may be awarded to the top three photos in each class.
In the event that an image of sufficient quality is not entered in a class, no
award will be presented.
Grand National award winners may receive additional recognition as “Best of
Photographs that do not receive a medal will be awarded certificates. In
the event that an image of sufficient quality is not entered in a division, no
award will be presented.
Grand National award winning photos meeting publication criteria may be
used in national horticultural publications, such as Journal of the American
Society of Horticultural Science, or HortScience. Photos may also be
displayed on the NJHA website.
All entries must be received by the Project Chair by September 15.
No exceptions will be made. Entries that do not adhere to rules
will not be judged.
Entry dates within your state for state competitions may be earlier.
the Entry Form