For additional information, consult the project chairperson:
Susan Beebe, Cornell Cooperative Extension, 50 West High Street, Ballston
Spa, NY 12020. Phone (518) 885-8995. Email: email@example.com
Digital Imagery Project
To stimulate an interest in the use of digital imaging in horticulture.
Who Can Participate
8 – 22 years old, individuals only. Age divisions are:
8 – 14 and 15 – 22 years old (as of Dec. 31 of current year).
All award winners in any class are eligible to enter in any class the
following year. Best of Show winner is also eligible to enter
in a class the following year.
- Single Unedited -- B & W or color, maximum
size = 12 x 14 inches, including matting/mounting. Picture comes straight
from the camera without a modification.
- Single Slightly Edited -- B & W or color, maximum
size = 12 x 14 inches, including matting/mounting. Image has been
somewhat digitally edited or enhanced. Modifications may include:
cropping, sharpening or blurring, brightness or contrast changes,
or the addition of text to the image. Thumbnail of the original
image shall accompany the exhibit. Thumbnail must be minimum
of 2 x 2 inches. Participants must describe editing
technique(s) used on entry page.
- Single Heavily Edited -- B & W or color, maximum
size = 12 x 14 inches, including matting/mounting. Image has
been radically edited or enhanced. Modifications may include:
addition to or the removal of parts of the image, changes in the color
scheme of the image, the use of filters or effects; or animation using
digital images, etc. Thumbnail of the original image shall accompany
exhibit. Thumbnail must be a minimum of 2 x 2 inches. Participants
must describe editing techniques(s) on entry page.
- Sequence of Four -- B & W or color digital images that tell a visual
story without the use of words. All four photos should be mounted
on one board/mat not to exceed 16 x 16 inches or 9 x 25 inches. If
edited images are used, thumbnails of the image shall accompany the
exhibit. Participants must describe editing techniques(s) used
on entry page.
- Horticulture Collection -- B & W or color, consisting of 6
photographs. All 6 photos should be mounted on one board/mat not
to exceed 16 x 20 inches. If edited images are used, thumbnails of
the image shall accompany the exhibit. Participants must describe
editing technique(s) used on entry page.
Each entry must:
- Have been taken with a digital camera.
- Have been taken by the participant within 12 months before it is
- Include an entry form COMPLETED BY THE EXHIBITOR, and 4 x 6 inches
or enlarged and mounted photograph(s) suitable for display.
An entry form follows the project descriptions. If the exhibit
is unable to complete the form without assistance, this should be
documented and noted by the assisting individual.
- All entries must be accompanied by a PC compatible CD or USB
flash drive containing the unedited image and edited image if
- On back of mounting, image must be labeled with class, title, exhibitor’s
name, age, and state.
- All exhibits should be titled with a caption to assist the judges/viewers
in interpreting the image. Title may be on entry or just listed on
- Participants are limited to one entry per class.
- Individuals are strongly encouraged to submit works that best showcase
their digital imaging skills.
- Photos should be matted and mounted only, and not be in a frame.
Photos in a frame will not be accepted or judged.
- If participants do not complete the correct entry form for the Digital
Imaging division, they will be automatically disqualified.
- Plagiarism: Images determined to be reproduced from another
source by judges will be disqualified from competition.
- Submitted entries become the property of NJHA and will not
be returned to exhibitor. Entries
may be used for publicity purposes.
Photographs meeting all entry criteria will be judged on individual merit. A
medal or certificate will be presented to all judged entries.
One “Grand National” (gold) medal and two additional “National” (silver)
medals may be awarded to the top three photos in each class.
In the event that an image of sufficient quality is not entered in a class, no
award will be presented.
Grand National award winners may receive additional recognition as “Best of
Photographs that do not receive a medal will be awarded certificates.
In the event that an image of sufficient quality is not entered in a class,
no “Outstanding” award will be presented.
Grand National award winning photos meeting publication criteria may be
used in national horticultural publications, such as Journal of the American
Society of Horticultural Science, or HortScience. Photos may also be
displayed on the NJHA website.
All entries must be received by the Project Chair by September 15.
No exceptions will be made. Entries that do not adhere to rules
will not be judged.
Entry dates within your state for state competitions may be earlier.
the Entry Form